Quantcast

Help - Patrons Deletions- best practice

satishamv
Hi,

Currently With Koha 16.5/Package Installation/ Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop /

Since last six months I am using Koha  (production / live)  in the Library.
Now, one batch of students are going to complete their course on coming May
2017.
I have  to stop/ block such students' access for circulation facility.
(anyhow, expiration date exist for the batch)

What are the standard procedures across the libraries following ..

1. Do you delete the patrons when students complete their course ?

2. If retained, what could be the problems? / Or Should not be deleted?

3. If some verification needed in circulation history, will it be available
in future  as well?

4. Or any other best practice with patron management that you follow,
kindly share ?

With Thanks
Satish MV
Librarian
Govt. Engineering College, Hassan
Karnataka

Re: Help - Patrons Deletions- best practice

satishamv
Hi,

Your answers will be highly appreciated. Kindly share your best practices.

On 17 March 2017 at 12:41, SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently With Koha 16.5/Package Installation/ Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop /
>
> Since last six months I am using Koha  (production / live)  in the Library.
> Now, one batch of students are going to complete their course on coming
> May 2017.
> I have  to stop/ block such students' access for circulation facility.
> (anyhow, expiration date exist for the batch)
>
> What are the standard procedures across the libraries following ..
>
> 1. Do you delete the patrons when students complete their course ?
>
> 2. If retained, what could be the problems? / Or Should not be deleted?
>
> 3. If some verification needed in circulation history, will it be
> available in future  as well?
>
> 4. Or any other best practice with patron management that you follow,
> kindly share ?
>

> With Thanks
> Satish MV
> Librarian
> Govt. Engineering College, Hassan
> Karnataka

Re: Help - Patrons Deletions- best practice

vanda koha
Hi Satish,

I have worked in a College library and we have never erased the patrons
from our databese: we just blocked the students access when they finished
their course. As simple as that. I think that's the best policy. Imagnie
that later on they decide to attend another course: you'll just have to
enable them/give them access to circulation, you do not have to register
them all over again. Besides, at any moment you may want to extract some
statistics from your database, and those patrons whether they have finissed
their course or not are part of your library history.

Best regards

Vanda

> Hi,
>
> Your answers will be highly appreciated. Kindly share your best practices.
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 12:41, SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently With Koha 16.5/Package Installation/ Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop /
> >
> > Since last six months I am using Koha  (production / live)  in the
> Library.
> > Now, one batch of students are going to complete their course on coming
> > May 2017.
> > I have  to stop/ block such students' access for circulation facility.
> > (anyhow, expiration date exist for the batch)
> >
> > What are the standard procedures across the libraries following ..
> >
> > 1. Do you delete the patrons when students complete their course ?
> >
> > 2. If retained, what could be the problems? / Or Should not be deleted?
> >
> > 3. If some verification needed in circulation history, will it be
> > available in future  as well?
> >
> > 4. Or any other best practice with patron management that you follow,
> > kindly share ?
> >

> > With Thanks
> > Satish MV
> > Librarian
> > Govt. Engineering College, Hassan
> > Karnataka

Re: Help - Patrons Deletions- best practice

Sawers, Colin
I think this would depend on local law but here in the UK most libraries would delete expired borrowers after a period of time to follow data protection guidance.  More information here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-5-retention/

Thanks

Best Regards

Colin

Colin Sawers BA (Hons) MCLIP MInstLM
Learning Resources Manager
Chesterfield College

01246 500518 (or 500500 ext. 1518)
[hidden email]
www.chesterfield.ac.uk

    Like us on Facebook!
    Follow our Tweets!
    Watch us on YouTube!

I have worked in a College library and we have never erased the patrons from our databese: we just blocked the students access when they finished their course. As simple as that. I think that's the best policy. Imagnie that later on they decide to attend another course: you'll just have to enable them/give them access to circulation, you do not have to register them all over again. Besides, at any moment you may want to extract some statistics from your database, and those patrons whether they have finissed their course or not are part of your library history.

Best regards

Vanda

> Hi,
>
> Your answers will be highly appreciated. Kindly share your best practices.
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 12:41, SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently With Koha 16.5/Package Installation/ Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop
> > /
> >
> > Since last six months I am using Koha  (production / live)  in the
> Library.
> > Now, one batch of students are going to complete their course on
> > coming May 2017.
> > I have  to stop/ block such students' access for circulation facility.
> > (anyhow, expiration date exist for the batch)
> >
> > What are the standard procedures across the libraries following ..
> >
> > 1. Do you delete the patrons when students complete their course ?
> >
> > 2. If retained, what could be the problems? / Or Should not be deleted?
> >
> > 3. If some verification needed in circulation history, will it be
> > available in future  as well?
> >
> > 4. Or any other best practice with patron management that you
> > follow, kindly share ?
> >

> > With Thanks
> > Satish MV
> > Librarian
> > Govt. Engineering College, Hassan
> > Karnataka

If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.

This message has been scanned for viruses and spam by MailScanner