Quantcast

[Fwd: Koha Blog Down]

Russel Garlick

Hi

Anyone know what the story is with

http://www.otherwayup.org.uk/planets/koha/

I have made some links to it from the koha.org site, but I am getting a
otherwayup.org.uk cannot be found message in my browser when I hit these
links.

Cheers
--

Russel Garlick
Operations Manager

Re: [Fwd: Koha Blog Down]

MJ Ray-2
Russel Garlick <[hidden email]>

> Anyone know what the story is with
> http://www.otherwayup.org.uk/planets/koha/

The hostname www.otherwayup.org.uk was replaced with
owu.towers.org.uk a month or so ago, to cut down the
amount of spam from WHOIS data and make my sites easier
to manage. 4xx redirects, then a static "please update
your link" was used. I checked referrer logs and search
engines, but didn't notice any link from koha.org
- sorry for not emailing!

http://owu.towers.org.uk/planets/koha/ works. More RSS feeds
welcome. Email me or use the form from the front page.

Anyone know why the wiki RecentChanges RSS is invalid XML?

MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask

Wiki & RSS: Was [Fwd: Koha Blog Down]

Roger BUCK
MJ Ray wrote:

> Anyone know why the wiki RecentChanges RSS is invalid XML?

Tavi RSS has never worked well - the developers have been aware of this
and threatened to fix several times in last 18 months... but zero
progress in taht time.

Does anyone think it may be time to consider a new wiki engine?

Here are a few references:

http://tavi.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=RSS+Syndication

  'Edit comments show up verbatim in rss feed.
   If you have comments with i.e. & or <code>
   in them, the XML isn't valid any more (in
   the example because a </code> is missing).
   Some RSS readers might refuse or be unable
   to display that. There seems to be missing
   an htmlentities() somewhere.'

  'If you have an '&' in your Summary of Change,
   the RSS feed will no longer parse. It should
   be replaced with &amp; for the RSS feed.'
R.

Re: Wiki & RSS: Was [Fwd: Koha Blog Down]

Joshua Ferraro-3
On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:19:38PM +1100, Roger BUCK wrote:
> Tavi RSS has never worked well - the developers have been aware of this
> and threatened to fix several times in last 18 months... but zero
> progress in taht time.
>
> Does anyone think it may be time to consider a new wiki engine?
My personal favorite is dokuwiki:

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki

Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
[hidden email] |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS

Joshua Ferraro wrote:

 >> Does anyone think it may be time to consider a new wiki engine?
 >
 >
 > My personal favorite is dokuwiki:
 > http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki

Seemingly limiteless number of wiki variations these days.

We have used Dokuwiki in all new installations for last 12 months or so,
and it should be more than adequate for Koha needs.

Any other recommendations?

R.

Re: Wiki & RSS: Was [Fwd: Koha Blog Down]

Paul POULAIN-2
Roger BUCK a écrit :
> Any other recommendations?
Not from me.
Having working RSS feed & a better anti-bot check is what I would ask.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants

Re: Wiki & RSS: Was [Fwd: Koha Blog Down]

MJ Ray-2
Roger BUCK <[hidden email]>

> Tavi RSS has never worked well - the developers have been aware of this
> and threatened to fix several times in last 18 months... but zero
> progress in taht time.
>
> Does anyone think it may be time to consider a new wiki engine?

Up to you, as presumably you'd be doing the migration. I'd like
one that uses http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TextFormattingRules or maybe
Markdown or Textile, instead of some single-site invention.

Alternatively, if you send the source, I'll try to send you a
patch for this particular bug.

Best wishes,

MJ Ray wrote:

> Up to you, as presumably you'd be doing the migration.
Separate question: We're happy to migrate and continue hosting - and
equally happy to 'pass on the baton' if it would make sense to to move
hosting to alternative location (main koha webserver for example) and/or
enthusiastic maintainer on upgrade?

> I'd like
> one that uses http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TextFormattingRules or maybe
> Markdown or Textile, instead of some single-site invention.

Default Dokuwiki syntax definitely in the 'single site' category... and
I found that a major disappointment with Dokuwiki - but Dokuwiki does
support  Markdown + Textile and others via plugin(s):

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3Aplugins

> Alternatively, if you send the source, I'll try to send you a
> patch for this particular bug.

Thanks for the kind offer - Probably a good option if we we fail to find
an alternative wiki offering good rss and possibly other benefits 'out
of the box'.

Any thoughts about the Dokuwiki + Markdown / Textile plugins as per
above links?

R.