French sysprefs file encoding

Jesse Weaver-2
Hello,

I noticed that various patches to the systempreferences creation SQL script for French have been in the Latin-1 encoding. The base encoding for the file is UTF-8.

I'm not sure how tolerant MySQL is of this, but it's very visibly broken in a Vim editing session.

Not out to chop off heads, just thought everyone would want to know.

--
Jesse Weaver
Software Developer, LibLime

Re: French sysprefs file encoding

Andrew Moore-5
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Jesse Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that various patches to the systempreferences creation SQL script
> for French have been in the Latin-1 encoding. The base encoding for the file
> is UTF-8.

Hi Jesse - Thanks for the notice.

So, what do we need to do going forward to make sure that it is done right?

Thanks,
-Andy

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Andrew Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Jesse Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that various patches to the systempreferences creation SQL script
> for French have been in the Latin-1 encoding. The base encoding for the file
> is UTF-8.

Hi Jesse - Thanks for the notice.

So, what do we need to do going forward to make sure that it is done right?

Thanks,
-Andy

Unfortunately, this is something that would vary a lot, depending on which operating system and editor was used.

Vim/Linux seems to autodetect that it is UTF-8 and edits and saves it correctly. (This is where I originally saw the problem; some latin-1 encoded text near the bottom of the sysprefs script was breaking the autodetection.)

I think as long as any other editor were set to save the file as UTF-8, everything would be okay.

Sincerely,
--
Jesse Weaver
Software Developer, LibLime

Re: French sysprefs file encoding

Joe Atzberger
The git config step from the git usage page also should help:

git config --global format.headers "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=\"utf-8\""

That is, it makes sure git sends email in UTF8.  Frédéric Demians discovered this and I think I picked it up when Galen blogged it.

--Joe