Exporting Excel data to MarcEdit to Koha help request

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exporting Excel data to MarcEdit to Koha help request

Matt Rose
Hi folks,


I have spent many weeks attempting to install a Virtual Mac on my PC so that I can run Koha. Koha finally works but I find I can't export my data via MarcEdit. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.


It does not like my Excel Sheet Name.  I am following this guide:  Importing Excel data into Koha:


http://manual.koha-community.org/3.2/en/marceditexcel.html


On page three, when I enter into Excel Sheet Name box: libsys (or any name for my .xls file) I get a long error message that says: "System.Data.OleDbException (0x80004005): $ is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that is it not too long." etc


Any ideas?

many thanks,

Matt  [hidden email]



_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting Excel data to MarcEdit to Koha help request

Indranil Das Gupta
Hi Matt,

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Matt Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>
> I have spent many weeks attempting to install a Virtual Mac on my PC so that I can run Koha. Koha finally works but I find I can't export my data via MarcEdit. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hope you are using the latest version of MarcEdit.

Call it a personal preference, but I like working with a TSV (tab
separated value) file exported from the spreadsheet when passing it to
MarcEdit.

> It does not like my Excel Sheet Name.  I am following this guide:  Importing Excel data into Koha:
>
> http://manual.koha-community.org/3.2/en/marceditexcel.html
>
> On page three, when I enter into Excel Sheet Name box: libsys (or any name for my .xls file) I get a long error message that says: "System.Data.OleDbException (0x80004005): $ is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that is it not too long." etc

IIRC, the sheetname is the *actual* name you gave to the sheet from
which among others in your XLS file that MarcEdit is supposed to read
from.

By using a CSV or TSV file, I simply avoid that sheet part in most cases.

hope that helps

Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies
_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list  http://koha-community.org
[hidden email]
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha