Explainshell entry for koha package utilities (and thoughts about ubuntu repos)

Explainshell entry for koha package utilities (and thoughts about ubuntu repos)

barton
Explainshell.com is a very nifty site that will parse the man pages that they know about, and then tell you what a given command line does.

For example, given the command line

yaz-marcdump -i marc -o marc -f utf-8 -t marc8 -l 9=20 filenametoconvert.mrc

Explainshell will tell you what the -i, -o, -f, -t and -l options do:

I honestly wasn't expecting it to know about yaz-marcdump.... but since it does, I tried koha-create... and it doesn't know about that.

Apparently it looks at Ubuntu's man-page repository (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/) ... so ... we're not there.

I don't know how much of a pain it is to get into, say, the ubuntu multiverse or ubuntu partner repos. I could see issues with some of our more bleeding edge dependencies... but it would be pretty awesome to just use a straight 'apt install koha' to get koha... and also to be able to use explainshell for koha-utilities.

Re: Explainshell entry for koha package utilities (and thoughts about ubuntu repos)

Chris Cormack-6
Hi Barton

Yes that is the long term plan, the best way to get into ubuntu is to
get into debian, they pull stuff from there.
Which is why we package everything and add to debian whereever we can.

So we get it into debian for example
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=chrisc@...

So they end up here
https://packages.debian.org/source/stable/libbusiness-edifact-interchange-perl

Which means they end up here
https://packages.ubuntu.com/source/xenial/libbusiness-edifact-interchange-perl

Now, there are a bunch of rules around copyright licenses etc, which I
think we have nearly fixed and a few other things that would stop
koha-common going into debian (and thus ubuntu)
But the plan is to fix them, when we have time of course. We could
maybe make that a push at the hackfest, or kohacon :)

Chris

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 12:14, Barton Chittenden
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Explainshell.com is a very nifty site that will parse the man pages that they know about, and then tell you what a given command line does.
>
> For example, given the command line
>
> yaz-marcdump -i marc -o marc -f utf-8 -t marc8 -l 9=20 filenametoconvert.mrc
>
> Explainshell will tell you what the -i, -o, -f, -t and -l options do:
>
> https://explainshell.com/explain?cmd=yaz-marcdump+-i+marc+-o+marc+-f+utf-8+-t+marc8+-l+9%3D20+filenametoconvert.mrc+%3E+c
>
> I honestly wasn't expecting it to know about yaz-marcdump.... but since it does, I tried koha-create... and it doesn't know about that.
>
> Apparently it looks at Ubuntu's man-page repository (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/) ... so ... we're not there.
>
> I don't know how much of a pain it is to get into, say, the ubuntu multiverse or ubuntu partner repos. I could see issues with some of our more bleeding edge dependencies... but it would be pretty awesome to just use a straight 'apt install koha' to get koha... and also to be able to use explainshell for koha-utilities.

Re: Explainshell entry for koha package utilities (and thoughts about ubuntu repos)

barton
Chris,

Thanks for the links and the explanation!

--Barton