Errors while installing test Koha

Buster
Hello, all. I am currently trying to install Koha 3.2.2 on Ubuntu 10.10 using the wiki page at http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Ubuntu

I make it to this step and work through all of the questions

Install Koha

1 - Setup and Test

# perl Makefile.PL

I then receive the following error:

Writing Makefile for koha
Unable to open MakeMaker.tmp: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl/5.10/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 996.

Any clue where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

--Jim Maroon

"The man, who, by his own and his family's labour, can provide a sufficiency of food and raiment and a comfortable dwelling place, is not a poor man."
--William Cobbett, Cottage Economy, 1826.

http://www.sufficientself.com

Re: Errors while installing test Koha

hansbkk
Sorry I can't help with the specific issue, but one option is to follow this instead:

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_3.2_on_Debian_Squeeze

I believe it will work, and give you a more flexible result (Ubuntu's a not-too-distant cousin of Debian's), allowing you to have a main-koha, a testing-koha etc on the same host.

Here are a couple of comments I made to the package maintainer about the README.debian (which you should do before doing anything else once you finish the apt-get/aptitude/synaptic part of the download/install:

http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2011-February/027611.html

Also, make sure you've got MySQL ready and tested first as well.

2011/2/23 Buster <[hidden email]>
Hello, all. I am currently trying to install Koha 3.2.2 on Ubuntu 10.10 using the wiki page at http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Ubuntu

I make it to this step and work through all of the questions

Install Koha

1 - Setup and Test

# perl Makefile.PL

I then receive the following error:

Writing Makefile for koha
Unable to open MakeMaker.tmp: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl/5.10/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 996.

Any clue where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

--Jim Maroon

"The man, who, by his own and his family's labour, can provide a sufficiency of food and raiment and a comfortable dwelling place, is not a poor man."
--William Cobbett, Cottage Economy, 1826.

http://www.sufficientself.com

Re: Errors while installing test Koha

Liz Rea
Perhaps a "sudo perl Makefile.PL" would do the trick? You might also be missing MakeMaker, "sudo cpan -i MakeMaker" might help.

Do let us know how it turns out :)

Liz Rea
NEKLS
On Feb 22, 2011, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Oops, I got the MakeMaker cpan package name wrong...

try "sudo cpan -i ExtUtils::MakeMaker"

Liz Rea
NEKLS
On Feb 22, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Liz Rea wrote:

[...]

Bingo! Yup, that was it. Sudo did the trick.

THANK YOU!

--Jim Maroon