Emailed Overdue Notices

Josh Westbrook
Reading the Koha documentation, it looked like there was one email
address that all overdue notices would go to if the patron did not
have an email address in their account.

But It looks like when a patron makes changes to their account in the
OPAC an email is sent to the email address that is associated with
their "Home Library" in the "Libraries and Groups" parameters about
the changes.  Is this the way Overdue Notices for patrons without
email addresses work also?  Is an email sent to the home library's
email address with all of the overdue notices for patrons
at_that_branch without an email address?

Our Koha system isn't live yet to test this - any feedback would be appreciated!

Josh Westbrook
Prescott Library Mngr/District Technology Mngr
Walla Walla County Rural Library District
[hidden email]
http://www.wwrurallibrary.com

Re: Emailed Overdue Notices

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Hi Josh

Library email addresses are set in two places. One in Admin which is
specifically for patron update requests, and the other in Libraries,
Branches & Groups, for other messages especially overdue notices. You
may of course set both to be the same address.

As you say, the addresses set for the branches receive a huge email
including a concatenation of all the notices that could not be sent
because Koha had no email in the patron's account. I have a single
library site so I am not certain how Koha chooses which email to send
the notice to if, say, the patron belongs to one branch and the book
belongs to another.

HTH
Agnes

Josh Westbrook wrote:

> Reading the Koha documentation, it looked like there was one email
> address that all overdue notices would go to if the patron did not
> have an email address in their account.
>
> But It looks like when a patron makes changes to their account in the
> OPAC an email is sent to the email address that is associated with
> their "Home Library" in the "Libraries and Groups" parameters about
> the changes.  Is this the way Overdue Notices for patrons without
> email addresses work also?  Is an email sent to the home library's
> email address with all of the overdue notices for patrons
> at_that_branch without an email address?
>
> Our Koha system isn't live yet to test this - any feedback would be appreciated!
>

> Josh Westbrook
> Prescott Library Mngr/District Technology Mngr
> Walla Walla County Rural Library District
> [hidden email]
> http://www.wwrurallibrary.com

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Assistant Librarian
Hanover Public Library

Re: Emailed Overdue Notices

Susan Bennett
My understanding, and how it seems to be working here, is that the emails come from the library were the items checked out.
One side effect of this is if the patron checks out items at two libraries on the same day and they are late enough to get overdue notices for both, they will get 2 notices, one from each library. Both notices listing all the items meeting the requirements for the overdue notices.

Susan Bennett
ILS System Administrator
Geauga County Public Library
440 286-6811 x 125
440 286-7419 FAX

Josh Westbrook wrote:
> Reading the Koha documentation, it looked like there was one email
> address that all overdue notices would go to if the patron did not
> have an email address in their account.
>
> But It looks like when a patron makes changes to their account in the
> OPAC an email is sent to the email address that is associated with
> their "Home Library" in the "Libraries and Groups" parameters about
> the changes.  Is this the way Overdue Notices for patrons without
> email addresses work also?  Is an email sent to the home library's
> email address with all of the overdue notices for patrons
> at_that_branch without an email address?
>
> Our Koha system isn't live yet to test this - any feedback would be appreciated!
>

> Josh Westbrook
> Prescott Library Mngr/District Technology Mngr
> Walla Walla County Rural Library District
> [hidden email]
> http://www.wwrurallibrary.com

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Assistant Librarian
Hanover Public Library

Re: Emailed Overdue Notices

Josh Westbrook
Thanks Agnes and Susan - I had some of this confirmed through other
channels as well.

I was hoping that the notice would be attached to the library where
the item checked out - so that is good to hear.  We do have patrons
that go between the seven libraries in our consortium - but usually
not on the same day (to my knowledge) so that shouldn't be a problem!

It's nice to hear that most of my assumptions of how the system works
are actually how it works - that wasn't the way it worked with our
Voyager system at all ...