Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi

After upgrade from Koha 16.5 to 16.11.09.000 / Package Installation/ Ubuntu
14.04 Desktop, In Patrons, did browser cache clearing.

found two problems with check-out.
1)  for some patrons, "Check-out Count" is not same as "Circulation History"
This is causing, confusion while patron login to their account using OPAC.
In OPAC, it showing Available even though it has been checkout.
For koha administrator, the "status" shows blank.

2) Unable to Check-in books, for some patrons.

Therefore, it is most urgent for me to answer the patrons.
I did not understand what is the reason for this behaviour.
Can you please give your suggestions for a fix.

Looking forward for your valuable answers.

With thanks
Satish MV
Librarian
Govt. Engineering College, Hassan.
Karnataka - 573201

Re: Check-out Counts difference

Jonathan Druart
Hello Satish,

Please update to the newest 16.11.x version and read this wiki page:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/DBMS_auto_increment_fix

Regards,
Jonathan

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 at 08:37 SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> After upgrade from Koha 16.5 to 16.11.09.000 / Package Installation/ Ubuntu
> 14.04 Desktop, In Patrons, did browser cache clearing.
>
> found two problems with check-out.
> 1)  for some patrons, "Check-out Count" is not same as "Circulation
> History"
> This is causing, confusion while patron login to their account using OPAC.
> In OPAC, it showing Available even though it has been checkout.
> For koha administrator, the "status" shows blank.
>
> 2) Unable to Check-in books, for some patrons.
>
> Therefore, it is most urgent for me to answer the patrons.
> I did not understand what is the reason for this behaviour.
> Can you please give your suggestions for a fix.
>

> Looking forward for your valuable answers.
>
> With thanks
> Satish MV
> Librarian
> Govt. Engineering College, Hassan.
> Karnataka - 573201

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for the reply.
I did update from 16.11.09 to 16.11.11 today, re-indexed and cleared the
cache, no fix for the problems defined previously.
Still the difference between Check-out counts on patron's page and Checkout
history is not similar.
Since, it is critical, can I proceed further to update from 16.11.11 to
17.05 on Ubuntu 14.04 ??
any other solutions for this problem ? and how others are working on
similar issues??

looking forward for the help.
-Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

Jonathan Druart
Hello,

I am not sure to understand, do you have a screenshot?
One screen displays the current checkouts and the other screen (history)
displays all current and previous checkouts.

Regards,
Jonathan

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 at 10:24 SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
> Thank you for the reply.
> I did update from 16.11.09 to 16.11.11 today, re-indexed and cleared the
> cache, no fix for the problems defined previously.
> Still the difference between Check-out counts on patron's page and
> Checkout history is not similar.
> Since, it is critical, can I proceed further to update from 16.11.11 to
> 17.05 on Ubuntu 14.04 ??
> any other solutions for this problem ? and how others are working on
> similar issues??
>
> looking forward for the help.
> -Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
I mean to say..in the check out page... The count is different and the
checkout history page of a patron shows active checkouts is different...
Numbers.
Example, in checkout  it is 3
But when I went to check out history the number active titles which are
checked out is 9 titles.
_Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

vinod mishra
The problem seems to be because of this

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/DBMS_auto_increment_fix

With Regards,

Vinod Kumar Mishra,
Assistant Librarian,
Biju Patnaik Central Library (BPCL),
NIT Rourkela,
Sundergadh-769008,
Odisha,
India.
Mob:91+9439420860
Website: http://mishravk.com/
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4666-7874

*"Spiritual relationship is far more precious than physical. Physical
relationship divorced from spiritual is body without soul" -- Mahatma
Gandhi*

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 6:54 PM, SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
> Thank you for the reply.
> I did update from 16.11.09 to 16.11.11 today, re-indexed and cleared the
> cache, no fix for the problems defined previously.
> Still the difference between Check-out counts on patron's page and Checkout
> history is not similar.
> Since, it is critical, can I proceed further to update from 16.11.11 to
> 17.05 on Ubuntu 14.04 ??
> any other solutions for this problem ? and how others are working on
> similar issues??
>
> looking forward for the help.
> -Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi Jonathan,

Please find the screen captures here...

for Check-out counts screen
https://ibb.co/dpCptk

for Circulation history screen
https://ibb.co/iNXptk

still I am looking for some sort of solution.
thank you
-Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

vinod mishra
Your problem is related to same as i understand

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM, SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Please find the screen captures here...
>
> for Check-out counts screen
> https://ibb.co/dpCptk
>
> for Circulation history screen
> https://ibb.co/iNXptk
>
> still I am looking for some sort of solution.
> thank you
> -Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

This is a weird behavior.
What returns the following SQL query?
  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM issues WHERE borrowernumber=516

At the OPAC, do you see 3 or 10 checkouts?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 at 02:20 SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Please find the screen captures here...
>
> for Check-out counts screen
> https://ibb.co/dpCptk
>
> for Circulation history screen
> https://ibb.co/iNXptk
>
> still I am looking for some sort of solution.
> thank you
> -Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi Jonathan,

1)  The SQL query, SELECT COUNT(*) FROM issues WHERE borrowernumber=516
results = 3

2) At the OPAC (when patron login), it shows counts = 3

3) At the Koha Administrator, Patron, Check-out page = 3

4) At the Koha Administrator, Patron, Circulation history = 9
(this is the actual number of books borrowed by the patron)

5) At the OPAC search (without login)  for a particular barcode  which is
not shown in patron's OPAC but picked from Patron's Circulation history for
which status shown as "Check-out", is displayed as: "AVAILABLE" in OPAC.

I guess, the problem started after migration from 16.05 to 16.11.09. before
that, during previous semesters Koha behaved excellently, did 22,000
transactions during last one year.  The problem reported with Check-In.
when performed check-in, the barcode/books details was not removing from
the patron's account.
after that Check-out counts. Now, all the OPAC's terminal's are kept
shutdown, until it is fixed.

And only satisfaction is, it is showing correct check-out counts in
patron's page and opac login for the recent Check-outs.
After update from 16.5 to 16.11.09, during last week of July,  whatever
books issued for those accounts I am facing problem.

Not sure, how to proceed further to fix the issue and appreciate your
feedback.

-Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi,

With respect to disappearence of titles on patron's check out page/opac
login, one strange thing I observed was, In "Circulation History page" from
Koha Administrator Patron's page ( in the attachment below) Both the
"Check-out On date" and "Due Date" appears/recorded as same! Only for such
time stamp or titles borrowed, it is found problem and not visible in
patron's check out or opac login. It's also affecting Check-Out report.

for Circulation history screen
https://ibb.co/iNXptk

for Check-out counts screen
https://ibb.co/dpCptk

But no clues further!

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Please ignore the previous mail, it is my wrong observation! about due
dates. Sorry for that.

On 21 September 2017 at 15:46, SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With respect to disappearence of titles on patron's check out page/opac
> login, one strange thing I observed was, In "Circulation History page" from
> Koha Administrator Patron's page ( in the attachment below) Both the
> "Check-out On date" and "Due Date" appears/recorded as same! Only for such
> time stamp or titles borrowed, it is found problem and not visible in
> patron's check out or opac login. It's also affecting Check-Out report.
>
> for Circulation history screen
> https://ibb.co/iNXptk
>
> for Check-out counts screen
> https://ibb.co/dpCptk
>
> But no clues further!

Re: Check-out Counts difference

Satish,

Yes 16.11.09 was a buggy version, but what you describe is not a known bug.
I'd say that old_issues.returndate is set to null and so the history page
consider it as "currently checked out", but it is not.
In this case the patron should have only 3 items at home and the other
items are actually available.
Could you check:
  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM old_issues WHERE returndate IS NULL
?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 at 02:39 SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> 1)  The SQL query, SELECT COUNT(*) FROM issues WHERE borrowernumber=516
> results = 3
>
> 2) At the OPAC (when patron login), it shows counts = 3
>
> 3) At the Koha Administrator, Patron, Check-out page = 3
>
> 4) At the Koha Administrator, Patron, Circulation history = 9
> (this is the actual number of books borrowed by the patron)
>
> 5) At the OPAC search (without login)  for a particular barcode  which is
> not shown in patron's OPAC but picked from Patron's Circulation history for
> which status shown as "Check-out", is displayed as: "AVAILABLE" in OPAC.
>
> I guess, the problem started after migration from 16.05 to 16.11.09.
> before that, during previous semesters Koha behaved excellently, did 22,000
> transactions during last one year.  The problem reported with Check-In.
> when performed check-in, the barcode/books details was not removing from
> the patron's account.
> after that Check-out counts. Now, all the OPAC's terminal's are kept
> shutdown, until it is fixed.
>
> And only satisfaction is, it is showing correct check-out counts in
> patron's page and opac login for the recent Check-outs.
> After update from 16.5 to 16.11.09, during last week of July,  whatever
> books issued for those accounts I am facing problem.
>
> Not sure, how to proceed further to fix the issue and appreciate your
> feedback.
>
> -Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi Jonathan,

for SQL - SELECT COUNT(*) FROM old_issues WHERE returndate IS NULL
I am getting count = 16

Only for few patrons, it has happened. Is there any system preference
changes cause this??
The these patrons whatever check-out status is there in "Circulation
history" is the correct numbers.
and one more strange thing is, I have tested for one patron, by trying to
check-in the book ( for whom the opac has wrong show)
It is not being removed from the screen. Please do check the screen capture
here.
Since it was not showing in OPAC login, first I tried to check-in the book
and tried to check-out again.
https://ibb.co/dRnnyk

Satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
I also tried with,
SELECT * FROM old_issues WHERE returndate IS NULL
giving detailed list. Please find the screen capture.

https://ibb.co/dKHeuQ

-satish

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
In the test server, I observed, there seems to be Check-In issue as well
for these 16 titles, when I perform, Check-In, it won't be removed from the
display as well as Check-out counts.

since, I am unable to find any solutions and

From the patron's perspective, I wanted their OPAC to be displayed accurate
information,I am planning for generating titles, for whom there is
mis-match between checkout counts and circulation history.

And I am expanding your SQL
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM old_issues WHERE returndate IS NULL to
-----------
SELECT items.barcode,biblio.title,biblio.author,borrowers.
firstname,borrowers.surname,
borrowers.cardnumber,borrowers.categorycode FROM old_issues
LEFT JOIN borrowers ON borrowers.borrowernumber=old_issues.borrowernumber
LEFT JOIN items ON old_issues.itemnumber=items.itemnumber
LEFT JOIN biblio ON items.biblionumber=biblio.biblionumber
WHERE returndate IS NULL
-----------
It shows 16 problematic titles with other patron and biblio details.
later, setting up these 16 problematic title's Circulation history date
forcefully to some date ( today's date) in mysql. so that, both OPAC login
and Circulation checkout count and Circulation History could match.

Re: Check-out Counts difference

Jonathan Druart
Satish,

Yes, that was the solution.
I cannot explain how it has been possible, but the returndate field should
not be set to null for checkins.
You must upgrade to the latest 16.11.x version, 16.11.09 may have caused
this problem.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 at 09:08 SATISH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the test server, I observed, there seems to be Check-In issue as well
> for these 16 titles, when I perform, Check-In, it won't be removed from the
> display as well as Check-out counts.
>
> since, I am unable to find any solutions and
>
> From the patron's perspective, I wanted their OPAC to be displayed
> accurate information,I am planning for generating titles, for whom there is
> mis-match between checkout counts and circulation history.
>
> And I am expanding your SQL
> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM old_issues WHERE returndate IS NULL to
> -----------
> SELECT
> items.barcode,biblio.title,biblio.author,borrowers.firstname,borrowers.surname,
> borrowers.cardnumber,borrowers.categorycode FROM old_issues
> LEFT JOIN borrowers ON borrowers.borrowernumber=old_issues.borrowernumber
> LEFT JOIN items ON old_issues.itemnumber=items.itemnumber
> LEFT JOIN biblio ON items.biblionumber=biblio.biblionumber
> WHERE returndate IS NULL
> -----------
> It shows 16 problematic titles with other patron and biblio details.
> later, setting up these 16 problematic title's Circulation history date
> forcefully to some date ( today's date) in mysql. so that, both OPAC login
> and Circulation checkout count and Circulation History could match.

Re: Check-out Counts difference

satishamv
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the reply. the SQL shown by you helped to identify null
check-ins date for the problematic patrons.

Now,  Koha has been upgraded to 16.11.11 and updated the database with

UPDATE old_issues SET returndate = '2017-09-22' WHERE returndate IS NULL;

re-checkout the same barcodes to the patrons. And now the checkout counts
are working exactly similar.

-Satish