Chat/Poetry for a Friday (Eastern US Time)

Chat/Poetry for a Friday (Eastern US Time)

King, Fred
Esteemed Colleagues,

Anyone uninterested in a bit of whimsy is urged to accept my apologies and hit the delete key.

Some of you are aware that in addition to being a Koha sysadmin, our library's cataloging and tech services department, backup AV department, and a third to half of our reference department (counting noses or FTEs), I am also a poet. Well, poetaster. I usually inflict my works on the medical librarians' listserv, since most of my poetry medical in nature (I don't think most people here would be interested in a poem about central line infections). However, I think this poem deals with a subject that is familiar to us all. It takes the form of an imperfectly formed Pindaric ode. Imagine it's being read by Dylan Thomas. Released under Creative Commons-do with it what you will. If our respective e-mail systems mangle the formatting, you can see it properly formatted here: http://www.philobiblios.net/poetry/ode_to_a_deceased_printer.html

Ode to a Deceased Printer

O laser printer, workhorse of our realm
With PCL 6 proudly at the helm
We welcomed you on your beginning day

Your printouts were a wonder to behold
With illustrations for the tales they told
Two-sided printing, and an extra tray

But now you do grow old and out of sorts
Make origami printouts of reports
And spill out toner fine as any soot
I am afraid at last thou art kaput
Be off with you, dead printer, through the door
And dying so, sleep your sleep mode no more

Fred King
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

Somehow it seems I managed to get old.  I really have no idea how that happened.
--Brian Baker

Re: [Koha-US Mailing List] Chat/Poetry for a Friday (Eastern US Time)

Joy Nelson-2
Love it Fred!

joy

--
Joy Nelson
Vice President of Implementations

ByWater Solutions <http://bywatersolutions.com>
Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Phone/Fax (888)900-8944
What is Koha?  <http://bywatersolutions.com/what-is-koha/>

Re: [EXTERNAL] [Koha-US Mailing List] Chat/Poetry for a Friday (Eastern US Time)

Hernandez, Heather
Bravo, Fred!!

I "printed" it out and taped it to The Thing That Used to be a Good
Printer/Copier/Scanner Yet Still Functions Just Enough That We Can't Get A
Replacement.

Thank you for the laughs!
h2

Re: Chat/Poetry for a Friday (Eastern US Time)

Mark Tompsett
Greetings,

Reminds me of hardware related poetry I tried my hand at when I was in
university, Fred.

I love my 6-5-0-2 I do.
It's simple paths I know so well.
The blazing speed it gives to me,
while Orchid compiles to hell.

It should be noted that Orchid was the name of a server that we would be
compiling our projects on, and the night before the due date was always the
worst. I remember learning 6502 assembler on my Apple ][ and it was fun to
write code there compared to the hellishly slow churning of a server being
flogged to near death by hundreds of students compiling.

This poem may be shared with attribution, but not varied nor sold. I love my
baby too much. Whatever that CC license is, apply it. :)

GPML,
Mark Tompsett