Catalog Search Relevance Ranking

Joel Sasse
Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that will explain how
Koha determines relevance in catalog searches? Some of my libraries have
been asking about it since it's the default sort option.

Thanks,

Joel Sasse

Network Systems Administrator

Plum Creek Library System

290 S Lake St

Worthington, MN 56187

Office: 507-376-5803

Mobile: 507-360-8961

Fax: 507-376-9244

Re: Catalog Search Relevance Ranking

Michael Kuhn
Hi Joel

 > Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that will explain
 > how Koha determines relevance in catalog searches? Some of my
 > libraries have been asking about it since it's the default sort
 > option.

I would suggest to start, as usual, with the Koha manual:
* https://koha-community.org/manual/17.05/html/13_searching.html

The actual relevance ranking is done within Zebra, you will find the
"Zebra - User's Guide and Reference" here (unfortunately the link to
this guide in the Koha manual is dead):
* http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/

For relevance ranking start here:
* http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/administration-ranking.html

Hope this helps.

Best wishes: Michael
T 0041 (0)61 261 55 61 · E [hidden email] · W www.adminkuhn.ch

Re: Catalog Search Relevance Ranking / Dead link in manual

Katrin Fischer-2

> The actual relevance ranking is done within Zebra, you will find the
> "Zebra - User's Guide and Reference" here (unfortunately the link to
> this guide in the Koha manual is dead):
> * http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/
>
> For relevance ranking start here:
> * http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/administration-ranking.html

Hi Michael and all,

please report any problems with the manual that you spot or know of. We
have a pad that you can just type into, no registration required:

https://annuel2.framapad.org/p/KohaManualTodo

Also feel free to submit a patch directly, instructions are here:

https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Editing_the_Koha_Manual

You can also send us text directly to format and include. I would love
if we could add more information about how the relevance ranking works!

Re: Catalog Search Relevance Ranking

Paul Hoffman
On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 10:17:33AM +0100, Michael Kuhn wrote:

> Hi Joel
>
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that will explain
> > how Koha determines relevance in catalog searches? Some of my
> > libraries have been asking about it since it's the default sort
> > option.
>
> I would suggest to start, as usual, with the Koha manual:
> * https://koha-community.org/manual/17.05/html/13_searching.html
>
> The actual relevance ranking is done within Zebra, you will find the "Zebra
> - User's Guide and Reference" here (unfortunately the link to this guide in
> the Koha manual is dead):
> * http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/
>
> For relevance ranking start here:
> * http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/administration-ranking.html

If this makes your head swim, try reading the first couple of paragraphs
(only!) in the Wikipedia article on TF-IDF document ranking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tf–idf

That URL contains non-ASCII characters, so it might be problematic; if
it doesn't work, try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tf%E2%80%93idf

Paul.

--