Quantcast

[Bug 18432] New: Most code comments assume male gender

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] New: Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

            Bug ID: 18432
           Summary: Most code comments assume male gender
 Change sponsored?: ---
           Product: Koha
           Version: master
          Hardware: All
                OS: All
            Status: NEW
          Severity: normal
          Priority: P5 - low
         Component: Developer documentation
          Assignee: [hidden email]
          Reporter: [hidden email]
        QA Contact: [hidden email]

Throughout the Koha codebase, the pronoun "he" is used to refer to a generic
third person who could be of any gender. For instance, in C4/Suggestions.pm
line #66:

'When a librarian manages the suggestion, he can set the status to "REJECTED"
or "ACCEPTED".'

That assumes all librarians are male. It's particularly problematic given that,
in the US at least, the profession is heavily female. In other files, all
borrowers are assumed to be male. In the interest of making the code base more
inclusive, it'd be better to not assume a male gender.

The patch—which touches *a lot* of disparate files but almost only
comments—changes all instances of "he" or "him" I could find to "he or she" and
"him or her" respectively. I'd also be in support of singular "they"/"their" in
these situations if people prefer that. In a few cases, a non-human object was
being referred to as "he", so I used "it" instead.

FYI, the regex I used to find uses of the pronoun "he" and "him":

- / (H|h)e (?!or she)/
- / (H|h)im (?!or her)/

I ignored "docs/history.txt" and "misc/release_notes" since those seem to refer
to actual men who worked on Koha, and also the Maori translations. There were 3
"unimarc_framework_DEFAULT.sql" files also used "he" in a way that seemed to
refer to a particular individual, though I'm not sure.

Testing plan:

- I can't really formulate a "testing plan" for this patch since it shouldn't
impact actual executing code
- The patch does touch strings in a few tests so at the very least these should
continue to pass:

 M C4/SIP/t/06patron_enable.t
 M koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/cataloguing/additem.tt
 M t/db_dependent/Circulation.t
 M t/db_dependent/Koha/Patrons.t
 M t/db_dependent/Reserves.t

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Assignee|[hidden email]          |[hidden email]

--- Comment #1 from Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62155
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62155&action=edit
patch

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Change sponsored?|---                         |Sponsored
   Patch complexity|---                         |String patch

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|NEW                         |Needs Signoff

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Marcel de Rooy <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]

--- Comment #2 from Marcel de Rooy <[hidden email]> ---
I am not sure if we should start changing all comments for this kind of trivial
edits. I would better understand changing templates (what we actually see on
the Koha interface). But you seem to touch scripts and modules only.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #3 from Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> ---
I disagree that making code base gender inclusive is trivial. It discourages
contributions from female developers. It's also just flat-out inaccurate, as in
places where tests assume all juveniles are male
(t/db_dependent/Koha/Patrons.t).

I searched over the templates as well and they tended to not have this problem,
it's almost entirely in comments or strings printed during tests.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Marc Véron <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]

--- Comment #4 from Marc Véron <[hidden email]> ---
QA tools complain for one file:
FAIL    acqui/neworderempty.pl
   FAIL   forbidden patterns
                forbidden pattern: tab char (line 157)

Question:
Why is the male form always at the first place ('he or she' / 'him or her')?
Does that not introduce a new inequality?

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #62155|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--- Comment #5 from Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62182
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62182&action=edit
new patch

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #6 from Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> ---
Alphabetical order is one reason. As I said, I'd be happy to use singular
"they/them" universally if people prefer that. I could also alternate orderings
between "he or she" and "she or he".

New patch with whitespace changes added.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #7 from Marc Véron <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62184
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62184&action=edit
Bug 18432: code comments assume male gender

Comments throughout the Koha codebase assume that
all librarians or borrowers are male by using the
pronoun 'he' universally. This patch changes to
'he or she' / 'him or hers'.

Testing plan:

- ensuring modifying tests still pass:
        + C4/SIP/t/06patron_enable.t
        + t/db_dependent/Circulation.t
        + t/db_dependent/Koha/Patrons.t
        + t/db_dependent/Reserves.t

Sponsored-By: California College of the Arts

No code changes detected.
Signed-off-by: Marc Véron <[hidden email]>

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Marc Véron <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #62182|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Marc Véron <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Severity|normal                      |trivial
             Status|Needs Signoff               |Signed Off

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]-c
                   |                            |ommunity.org

--- Comment #8 from Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> ---
I guess you are going to expect this to be a new coding guideline?
In that case you should write a proposal and submit the topic to the next dev
meeting.
I personally think that "he or she" is heavy to read.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #9 from Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> ---
The patch is already outdated

t/db_dependent/Koha/Patrons.t:    is( $total, $enrolmentfee_K +
$enrolmentfee_J, "Kid growing and become a juvenile, he should pay " . (
$enrolmentfee_K + $enrolmentfee_J ) );

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]

--- Comment #10 from Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> ---
I think this is a useful contribution, however I suggest we change the pronoun
to they. It is non gendered and neutral

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #11 from Eric Phetteplace <[hidden email]> ---
I agree, "they" is better. More concise & more inclusive.

I will write a proposal to the koha-devel email list and try to make the next
developer's meeting, though if I recall all the recent ones have been during my
commute hour so I've never been able to attend. I assume once it's approved I
am OK to add to the wiki page on coding guidelines and write a new patch that
changes all instances of "he/him" and "he/him or she/her" to "they/them".

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|Signed Off                  |ASSIGNED

--- Comment #12 from Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> ---
(In reply to Eric Phetteplace from comment #11)
> I agree, "they" is better. More concise & more inclusive.
>
> I will write a proposal to the koha-devel email list and try to make the
> next developer's meeting, though if I recall all the recent ones have been
> during my commute hour so I've never been able to attend. I assume once it's
> approved I am OK to add to the wiki page on coding guidelines and write a
> new patch that changes all instances of "he/him" and "he/him or she/her" to
> "they/them".

I'm currently just doing a follow up patch that changes the language, should be
done soon, so you can have an example to show if you want. (I'll leave your
original patch and do it as a follow up, so you still get credit for a commit)

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|ASSIGNED                    |Needs Signoff

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #13 from Chris Cormack <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62336
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62336&action=edit
Bug 18432 : Follow up -Updating to use they/them and skipping the ones changed
to it

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Owen Leonard <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #62184|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--- Comment #14 from Owen Leonard <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62467
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62467&action=edit
[SIGNED-OFF] Bug 18432: code comments assume male gender

Comments throughout the Koha codebase assume that
all librarians or borrowers are male by using the
pronoun 'he' universally. This patch changes to
'he or she' / 'him or hers'.

Testing plan:

- ensuring modifying tests still pass:
        + C4/SIP/t/06patron_enable.t
        + t/db_dependent/Circulation.t
        + t/db_dependent/Koha/Patrons.t
        + t/db_dependent/Reserves.t

Sponsored-By: California College of the Arts

No code changes detected.
Signed-off-by: Marc Véron <[hidden email]>

Signed-off-by: Owen Leonard <[hidden email]>

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #15 from Owen Leonard <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62468
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62468&action=edit
[SIGNED-OFF] Bug 18432 : Follow up - Updating to use they/them

Updating to use they/them and skipping the ones changed to it

Signed-off-by: Owen Leonard <[hidden email]>

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Owen Leonard <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #62336|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Owen Leonard <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|Needs Signoff               |Signed Off

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|Signed Off                  |Passed QA

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #62467|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |
  Attachment #62468|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--- Comment #16 from Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62482
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62482&action=edit
Bug 18432: code comments assume male gender

Comments throughout the Koha codebase assume that
all librarians or borrowers are male by using the
pronoun 'he' universally. This patch changes to
'he or she' / 'him or hers'.

Testing plan:

- ensuring modifying tests still pass:
        + C4/SIP/t/06patron_enable.t
        + t/db_dependent/Circulation.t
        + t/db_dependent/Koha/Patrons.t
        + t/db_dependent/Reserves.t

Sponsored-By: California College of the Arts

No code changes detected.
Signed-off-by: Marc Véron <[hidden email]>

Signed-off-by: Owen Leonard <[hidden email]>

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]>

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #17 from Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62483
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62483&action=edit
Bug 18432 : Follow up - Updating to use they/them

Updating to use they/them and skipping the ones changed to it

Signed-off-by: Owen Leonard <[hidden email]>

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]>

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #18 from Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 62484
  -->
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/attachment.cgi?id=62484&action=edit
Bug 18432: Replace 2 'he or she' with 'they'

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]>

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

--- Comment #19 from Jonathan Druart <[hidden email]> ---
Added a check to the QA tests:

  commit 953c8903f3d2dde89be05df6c4b0d8f671736886
  Do not assume male gender, use they/them instead (bug 18432)

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Kyle M Hall <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]

--- Comment #20 from Kyle M Hall <[hidden email]> ---
Pushed to master for 17.05, thanks Eric, Chris, Jonathan!

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Bug 18432] Most code comments assume male gender

bugzilla-daemon
In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=18432

Kyle M Hall <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|Passed QA                   |Pushed to Master

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.koha-community.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/koha-bugs
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/
12
Loading...