Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Magnus Enger
Dear Community,

Here comes a non-technical question!

I have some customers who are school libraries, and I'm wonder what is
the best way to register pupils as patrons.

I'm thinking sometimes it will be interesting to be able to group them
by the year they are in (1. year, 2. year etc), and sometimes it will
be interesting to group them by the class they are in (in Norway these
will typically be called 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc).

I'm also thinking that during summer it will be useful to batch delete
all the pupils who left at the end of the spring semester.

And of course, every summer all the pupils who have not left will have
to be shifted up one class. So maybe it's better to avoid the classes
alltogether and use the year they enrolled for something?

One of the libraries in question has created patron categories based
on class, so they have patron types called 1A, 1B etc - I'm not sure
what they plan to do when everyone gets shifted up one class at the
end of the spring semester... ;-)

So again: How are y'all registering pupils in Koha?

Best regards,
Magnus Enger
libriotech.no

Re: Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Darla Grediagin
I register students with planned graduation date.  This makes it easy to move the student out
the year of graduation.

Darla

Darla Grediagin
District Librarian
Bering Strait School District
Unalakleet, Alaska
Web Address : http://bssdonline.org/course/view.php?id=51
Blog: http://aklibrarian1.edublogs.org/
OPAC:  http://opac.bssd.org:8282

On 5 October 2011 21:29, Darla Grediagin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I register students with planned graduation date.  This makes it easy to
> move the student out the year of graduation.

Thanks for a quick reply! Funny thing: I got a direct reply with
almost exactly the same answer too! ;-)

Sorry for being slow, but how do you register the graduation date?
Which field? Do you use extended patron attributes?

Best regards,
Magnus Enger
libriotech.no

Re: Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Henri-Damien LAURENT
Le 05/10/2011 21:39, Magnus Enger a écrit :

> On 5 October 2011 21:29, Darla Grediagin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I register students with planned graduation date.  This makes it easy to
>> move the student out the year of graduation.
>>

> Thanks for a quick reply! Funny thing: I got a direct reply with
> almost exactly the same answer too! ;-)
>
> Sorry for being slow, but how do you register the graduation date?
> Which field? Do you use extended patron attributes?

For what it is worth,
you could use categorycode to separate students from teachers and
professionals, and sort1/sort2 or an extended attribute to store the year.
All you would have to do afterwards is a script to bulkupdate that value
based on a hash (defined for instance in a YAML file)  that you would cron.
Hope that helps.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT

Re: Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Emrys Minnig
At our school, I've set the category code of each patron type to the year of their graduation and the category name to the name of the year they are in.  For example, Year 11 (the year of graduation here) has a category code of '2012' and and description of 'Year 11'.  At the beginning of the year, we increment the description by one year.  In the past, I've done this manually, but I'll probably set it up as a cron soon.  Category codes that are less than the current year can be purged in bulk as necessary (also cron-able).

At our school, students keep their same form tutor for throughout their years, so I store the intials of their form tutor in the 'sort1' field of their patron records, as forms here are designated by these initials.  Obviously, if their form tutor leaves, I have to update this field via MySQL.  I use sort2 to store their 'house', as all forms are divided into four different 'houses', so it's useful to be able to run reports on which houses are our top library users (for inter-house competitions, etc.)

Naturally, from this it's probably obvious that whatever method gets the job done within the framework of your school is the 'best practise'.  Even within my city, these frameworks vary widely...

Emrys

________________________________

Re: Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Nora Blake-2
Hi Marcus,

We've got a number of schools in our shared Koha system.  We started using
Koha before extended patron attributes were available, so we steered our
libraries to using the sort 1 and sort 2 fields of the patron record.  We
actually format and load the patron records on behalf of our library staff
(we don't really like to let them muck around the system).  We encourage the
libraries to use the year of graduation rather than the grade level.  Using
grade level requires changing the records every year -- this isn't a huge
problem, but it just means more work and more maintenance of the record.

We use sort field 1 for year of graduation and sort field 2 for home room
number or advisor name or whatever other information the schools deem
pertinent.

We have the sort fields display on overdue notices so the librarians can
compile them and hand them out and we use the sort fields for reports of all
kinds.

We thought about using different patron types for each grade level but have
shied away from doing that so far.  It seems messy.  We have talked with
some elementary schools who like to control circulation by grade level -- so
Grade 1 kids can take 1 book out for 1 week, Grade 2 kids can take 3 books
our for 2 weeks, Grade 3 kids can take 5 books out for 2 weeks, etc.  If any
of these elementary schools end up joining our group and we cannot convince
them to give up on the intensity of their circulation policies, then we
probably will create patron types by grade level so they can control the
heck out of their circulation.

I hope this helps.

Nora
________________________

Nora Blake
MassCat Manager
Massachusetts Library System
P.O. Box 609
South Deerfield, MA 01373-0241
508-357-2121 x123
866-627-7228
Email: [hidden email]
AIM: noraatmls

Re: Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Nora Blake-2
Hi Again Marcus,

I forgot to address the piece about deleting the student records in batches.
That's an issue that makes the staff at our school libraries twitch since
they feel a strong need to make the records for graduated students go away
as soon as possible.  We sponsored development to allow for searching on
portions of a patron file, creating a list of records based on criteria
(like the presence of '2009' in the sort1 field) and then doing something to
the list of patron records in a batch.

Unfortunately for us, we sponsored this development when we were customers
of LibLime and the resulting code is not very viable for use with Koha.  Now
that we have switched away from LibLime and are using the community-coded
and sponsored version of Koha we will almost definitely look at a similar
development project.  Nothing like paying for something twice!

If anyone is interested in partnering with us on a development project for
maintaining patron records in batches, please get in touch with me.  We'd
love to share!

Nora