Best place for test plans

David Cook

Hi all,

I’ve been wondering about the best place to put test plans. I think traditionally we include them in our git commits, but I feel like it would be better to include them as standalone comments in Bugzilla.

My reasoning is that finding test plans can be really difficult when you’re scrolling back through numerous autogenerated per-commit comments. And if there is lots of rebasing or modifications, you wind up with a million test plans, so you can’t even Ctrl + F really.

I figure when a patch is ready for testing, the developer should write 1 comment containing all test plan instructions and post it to the bottom of Bugzilla. That way, testers can just Ctrl + F for test plan, find the lowest one, and just consider that in their testing.

What do you all think?

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Direct: 02 8005 0595

Re: Best place for test plans

Katrin Fischer-2

Hi David,

for me it's just the other way around. As test plans often need to be updated while a bug moves through the process I like taking a look at the commit messages to find the latest instructions. It also means that the plans end up in git, which can be quite helpful.

Katrin

On 04.10.2017 01:56, David Cook wrote:

[...]

I see the merit of having them in git, but how do you know when you’re looking at the latest instructions? Or do you look at each commit that you apply for its test plan? I always look on Bugzilla.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St

Ultimo, NSW 2007

Australia

Office: 02 9212 0899

Re: Best place for test plans

Marc Véron

Hi David

I think it is a good practice to have the test plan as commit comment and to obsolete any comments that are related to obsoleted patches. In Bugzilla, comments can be obsoleted by entering the keyword 'obsolete' as tag and then hit the return key.

Marc

Am 04.10.2017 um 01:56 schrieb David Cook:

[...]

Jonathan Druart
Last year I wrote a cronjob to add the "obsolete" tag to the obsoleted comment (to hide them), but it does not seem to still work.
Before that I have also written a greasemonkey script to hide them http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2016-January/042185.html

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 at 03:55 Marc Véron <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Office: <a href="tel:02%2092%2012%2008%2099" value="+33292120899" target="_blank">02 9212 0899

Direct: <a href="tel:02%2080%2005%2005%2095" value="+33280050595" target="_blank">02 8005 0595

Re: Best place for test plans

Liz Rea-3

Strong agreement from me for "have the test plan in the commit message."

Bugs in bugzilla do get messy, but as long as we are applying the latest patch, the plans are always right there for you to look at. Also for everyone else to look at. And immortalized in git.

Git. They go in git, and by extension, on the patches attached to Bugzilla.

Cheers,
Liz

On 04/10/17 19:55, Marc Véron wrote:
[...]

Liz Rea
Catalyst.Net Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House,
150 Willis Street, Wellington.
P.O Box 11053, Manners Street,
Wellington 6142

GPG: B149 A443 6B01 7386 C2C7 F481 B6c2 A49D 3726 38B7

Re: Best place for test plans

David Cook

Sounds good, team. I’ll start reading the test plans from Git instead of from Bugzilla. Sounds like a reasonable way to do things.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St