Barcode nightmare

Seth Mayo
We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
get on board with.

At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
system but the most important one is:

Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?

Situation...

Our library happens to have two barcode formats on books (long story):

Type 1 Example: R36758W 2560
Type 2 Example: + 2560 013037 6

There are two problems with this - both having to do with our existing
system (Alice for Windows) not actually cataloguing the whole barcode.

Apparently when the system was set up, the following is what it was
set up to do (and thus what we need to achieve in Koha since changing
the barcodes on all the books is not an option):

Type 1 conversion:  R36758W 2560 has been stored as R36758 (string is
concatenated)
Type 2 conversion:  + 2560 013037 6 has been stored as R13037 (string
is rearranged and concatenated - ie. first 4 characters removed

The letter 'W' in the first type is randomised on the barcodes so
there is no way of recovering it.  The 'R' in the second type is
simply added to everything.

Any help with any of this would be appreciated.

Seth Mayo
IT Technical Manager
Email:  [hidden email]

Re: Barcode nightmare

Zeno Tajoli
Dear Seth Mayo,

reading your problems on barcode,
I think you need to personalize the code about barcode
reading/filtering/searching.

In fact, if you don't have perl skills in house, you need
to hire someone.

Koha as you can download it, is not enough.

Cheers
Zeno Tajoli

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it
(Indirizzo mascherato anti-spam; sostituisci quanto tra AT con @)

Re: Barcode nightmare

Chris Nighswonger
Hi Seth,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Seth Mayo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?

Not without custom code, and your application sounds pretty unique.

> Situation...
>
> Our library happens to have two barcode formats on books (long story):

> Any help with any of this would be appreciated.

Probably the most straightforward solution would be to simply scan the
barcode on each item into the records once they are imported into
Koha. However, this will not be the least laborious if you have many
thousands of items.

Kind Regards,

Re: Barcode nightmare

Agnes Rivers-Moore
We have just migrated 6 libraries. Of those 6, three have more than one
variant of barcode, two had 4 types. Really a nightmare!

It took us a lot of SQL and Perl script work by a consultant with those
skills, but it is possible if the size of your collection makes it
worthwhile. If you have a definable range of numbers that can be changed
to one type, that can be done with SQL in the table after import, or by
script editing the 952 fields before import. Better to use the first
option if you want to import and match other circulation or item
information after the MARC records are in.
We also have a clever script that allows us to correct the Koha table by
scanning the barcode, as if we were checking it out - saves the need to
search for each title and edit the items individually. This was custom
work, not part of Koha.

I have copied this message to the consultant who did the work for us...

Agnes

Seth Mayo wrote:

> We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
> Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
> various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
> get on board with.
>
> At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
> start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
> system but the most important one is:
>
> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?
>
> Situation...
>
> Our library happens to have two barcode formats on books (long story):
>
> Type 1 Example: R36758W 2560
> Type 2 Example: + 2560 013037 6
>
> There are two problems with this - both having to do with our existing
> system (Alice for Windows) not actually cataloguing the whole barcode.
>
> Apparently when the system was set up, the following is what it was
> set up to do (and thus what we need to achieve in Koha since changing
> the barcodes on all the books is not an option):
>
> Type 1 conversion:  R36758W 2560 has been stored as R36758 (string is
> concatenated)
> Type 2 conversion:  + 2560 013037 6 has been stored as R13037 (string
> is rearranged and concatenated - ie. first 4 characters removed
>
> The letter 'W' in the first type is randomised on the barcodes so
> there is no way of recovering it.  The 'R' in the second type is
> simply added to everything.
>
> Any help with any of this would be appreciated.
>
> Seth Mayo
> IT Technical Manager
> Email:  [hidden email]

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Assistant Librarian
Hanover Public Library

Re: Barcode nightmare

Seth Mayo
Can Petrus give any hints as to which perl files need to be changed to
address barcode differences?  I'm going to see if I can do it myself
as I have some programming experience.  However, is there a
possibility of working with Petrus if I can't get it to work?

Seth Mayo
IT Technical Manager
Email:  [hidden email]
St Peter's Anglican Primary School
Howe Street
Campbelltown NSW 2560
PH: 02 4627 2990
Website:  http://www.stpeters.nsw.edu.au

2009/11/18 Agnes Rivers-Moore <[hidden email]>:

> We have just migrated 6 libraries. Of those 6, three have more than one
> variant of barcode, two had 4 types. Really a nightmare!
>
> It took us a lot of SQL and Perl script work by a consultant with those
> skills, but it is possible if the size of your collection makes it
> worthwhile. If you have a definable range of numbers that can be changed to
> one type, that can be done with SQL in the table after import, or by script
> editing the 952 fields before import. Better to use the first option if you
> want to import and match other circulation or item information after the
> MARC records are in.
> We also have a clever script that allows us to correct the Koha table by
> scanning the barcode, as if we were checking it out - saves the need to
> search for each title and edit the items individually. This was custom work,
> not part of Koha.
>
> I have copied this message to the consultant who did the work for us...
>
> Agnes
>

> Seth Mayo wrote:
>>
>> We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
>> Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
>> various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
>> get on board with.
>>
>> At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
>> start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
>> system but the most important one is:
>>
>> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?
>>
>> Situation...
>>
>> Our library happens to have two barcode formats on books (long story):
>>
>> Type 1 Example: R36758W 2560
>> Type 2 Example: + 2560 013037 6
>>
>> There are two problems with this - both having to do with our existing
>> system (Alice for Windows) not actually cataloguing the whole barcode.
>>
>> Apparently when the system was set up, the following is what it was
>> set up to do (and thus what we need to achieve in Koha since changing
>> the barcodes on all the books is not an option):
>>
>> Type 1 conversion:  R36758W 2560 has been stored as R36758 (string is
>> concatenated)
>> Type 2 conversion:  + 2560 013037 6 has been stored as R13037 (string
>> is rearranged and concatenated - ie. first 4 characters removed
>>
>> The letter 'W' in the first type is randomised on the barcodes so
>> there is no way of recovering it.  The 'R' in the second type is
>> simply added to everything.
>>
>> Any help with any of this would be appreciated.
>>
>> Seth Mayo
>> IT Technical Manager
>> Email:  [hidden email]

> Agnes Rivers-Moore
> Assistant Librarian
> Hanover Public Library

Re: Barcode nightmare

Mason James-5

On 2009/11/17, at 5:10 PM, Seth Mayo wrote:

> We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
> Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
> various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
> get on board with.
>
> At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
> start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
> system but the most important one is:

hi Seth.

> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?

to me, thats the wrong way to approach your problem
try to correct your barcodes *before* the import into Koha, and save
yourself some future pain.

a small perl script to loop thru your bib file(s) and perform the
barcode correction will do the trick just fine

preferably get your bibs from Alice as a big MARC file, then you can
use perl's MARC::Record module to do the heavy lifting.

after the correction, import your bibs from the Koha->Tools->Import
gui, as usual ;)

http://search.cpan.org/~mikery/MARC-Record-2.0.0/lib/MARC/Record.pm

Mason.

Re: Barcode nightmare

Mason James-5

On 2010/01/4, at 11:24 PM, Mason James wrote:

> On 2009/11/17, at 5:10 PM, Seth Mayo wrote:
>
>> We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
>> Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
>> various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
>> get on board with.
>>
>> At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
>> start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
>> system but the most important one is:
>

> hi Seth.
>
>> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?
>
> to me, thats the wrong way to approach your problem
> try to correct your barcodes *before* the import into Koha, and
> save yourself some future pain.
>
> a small perl script to loop thru your bib file(s) and perform the
> barcode correction will do the trick just fine
>
> preferably get your bibs from Alice as a big MARC file, then you
> can use perl's MARC::Record module to do the heavy lifting.
>
> after the correction, import your bibs from the Koha->Tools->Import
> gui, as usual ;)
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~mikery/MARC-Record-2.0.0/lib/MARC/Record.pm
>
> Mason.

ah, i just re-read your email and clicked to your actual problem ;)

you need to do something like...

- identify which existing barcodes are corrupt
- manually scan all the correct barcodes from the items in your
collection, into a file (or db table) containing 2 fields for each
item (a unique item-id  and the item's corrected barcode)
- loop thru your bib records and fetch the corrected barcode matched
against that item's unique-id

its a bit fiddly, but fixable ;)

hope that helps,
Mason.

Re: Barcode nightmare

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Hello Seth

We did not change any Koha files. We did use Perl but to insert the full
length final bracode number into the MARC records (along with a slew of
other item-specific data such as call number, home branch, item type).
The MARC records were then imported after the 952 fields were built.
In a few cases there were a few identifiable categories of materials
that did not use the expected barcode format, in which case we ran a
script against the items table after import, to change the barcode
numbers of those items.
Lastly, if there were different barcode formats that could not be
predicted, these were fixed by a custom script we spliced into the
checkout process - it only runs if the scanned barcode is not found in
the database. This is Petrus' work, and I have forwarded your messages
to him and copy this one to him also. If you wish to work with him you
could contact him direct, off list.

Hope that helps,
Agnes

--