Quantcast

BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Paul POULAIN-2
Hello,

(I cc: mike Rylander in case the pines guys have another solution...)

I continue investigating the utf8 stuff. I have a very very bad feeling
: it seems that Perl DBI::mysql does not handle utf8 correctly.
Here are some links :
http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/654
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3714
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=msql-mysql-modules&m=111970179409036&w=2
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006?f=plain

If I read correctly, there are only 2 ways to solve this :
* bug DBD::mysql maintainer to have the fix included. Would require an
official release, an upgrade of DBD::mysql, but it's a better solution
in the long term.
* modify EVERY SQL query to Encode::decode_utf8() every value. A quite
huge task !

I have modified one script (marc_subfield_structure.pl), and everything
works fine with Encode::decode_utf8 (and don't work without it)
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants

Re: BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Joshua Ferraro-3
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:14:24PM +0100, Paul POULAIN wrote:

> (I cc: mike Rylander in case the pines guys have another solution...)
>
> I continue investigating the utf8 stuff. I have a very very bad feeling
> : it seems that Perl DBI::mysql does not handle utf8 correctly.
> Here are some links :
> http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/654
> http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3714
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=msql-mysql-modules&m=111970179409036&w=2
> http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006?f=plain
>
> If I read correctly, there are only 2 ways to solve this :
> * bug DBD::mysql maintainer to have the fix included. Would require an
> official release, an upgrade of DBD::mysql, but it's a better solution
> in the long term.
I've sent an email to Patrick, who maintains the CPAN module and
also appears to work for mysqlab ... I'll let you know if/when he
replies with an answer to our questions.

> * modify EVERY SQL query to Encode::decode_utf8() every value. A quite
> huge task !
This is true, but it's also an excellent opportunity to put thd's
recommended abstraction of the underlying SQL database. I'm more than
happy to do some grunt work if we have a clear path for how to
implement thd's proposal. Any thoughts on how best to acomplish
this?

Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
[hidden email] |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS

Re: BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Paul POULAIN-2
Continuing to investigate :
* http://www.zackvision.com/weblog/2005/11/mt-unicode-mysql.html
=> same problem & conclusion

* http://www.issociate.de/board/post/227643/MySQL_4.1.10_and_utf8.html
=> same problem again

I'm afraid there is no interesting solution... Anything new from
DBD::mysql maintainer joshua ?