A couple of Debian install questions

Owen Leonard-4
I just tried my first Koha install on Debian: OSX + VirtualBox +
Debian + Koha dev install. I ran into a couple of problems I wanted to
ask about:

1. Install didn't proceed correctly until I manually created the
koha-dev folder alongside the location of my git checkout.
2. I got several warnings about prerequisites missing after running
Makefile.PL. Does that mean that the installation instructions are
missing a step?

[Sat Dec  5 11:19:58 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite GD 2.39 not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:19:58 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
GD::Barcode::UPCE 1.1 not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:19:59 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite IPC::Cmd
0.46 not found. We have 0.401.
[Sat Dec  5 11:19:59 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
Memoize::Memcached 0.03 not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:19:59 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
Number::Format 1.52 not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:20:00 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
PDF::API2::Simple 1 not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:20:00 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
PDF::Reuse::Barcode 0.05 not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:20:00 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
PDF::Table  not found.
[Sat Dec  5 11:20:00 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite Storable
2.21 not found. We have 2.18.
[Sat Dec  5 11:20:00 2009] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
Test::More 0.8 not found. We have 0.72.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries

Re: A couple of Debian install questions

Mason James-5

On 2009/12/6, at 8:44 AM, Owen Leonard wrote:

> I just tried my first Koha install on Debian: OSX + VirtualBox +
> Debian + Koha dev install. I ran into a couple of problems I wanted to
> ask about:
>
> 1. Install didn't proceed correctly until I manually created the
> koha-dev folder alongside the location of my git checkout.
> 2. I got several warnings about prerequisites missing after running
> Makefile.PL. Does that mean that the installation instructions are
> missing a step?

which installation instructions ?

Which is the best Linux flavour to work with Koha ?

G.K.MANJUNATH

We installed Koha on Fedora, Ubuntu and Debain and did not face any
problem. I understand that, Debian is what most people use.

I need some suggestions. Which is the best Linux flavour to work on,
especially with Koha and why ?  Can any one please clarify ?

I do not want to frequently change the OS environment. However, later like
to opt for the latest version of Koha ( 3.2 ), when fully tested.

Most important, we would like to use the same OS for other open source
software such as Dspace and Greestone.

thanks,

       Dr.G.K.Manjunath
       Chief Librarian
       Indira Gandhi Inst of Development Research
       Film City Road
       Santosh Nagar
       Goregaon(East )
       MUMBAI - 400 065, India

               Phone: 022-28416528

Re: A couple of Debian install questions

Owen Leonard-4

> which installation instructions ?

Sorry--  The Debian Lenny INSTALL file.

   -- Owen

Re: A couple of Debian install questions

Owen Leonard-4
> 1. Install didn't proceed correctly until I manually created the
> koha-dev folder alongside the location of my git checkout.
> 2. I got several warnings about prerequisites missing after running
> Makefile.PL. Does that mean that the installation instructions are
> missing a step?

Oh, and another one:

3. The Debian Lenny INSTALL file doesn't say anything about creating a
koha user--something I did when I tried an install on Ubuntu. Is that
a mistake, or do things work differently on Debian?

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries
http://www.myacpl.org

Re: A couple of Debian install questions

Chadwick, John, DCA
Owen,

I have more than my share of attempts at installing Koha on Ubuntu. I
will share my experience.

I am still working with some instructions that have grown as I have
found additional PERL modules that Koha wants prior to installation. I
will go with the ones I know about.

GD IPC::Cmd PDF::Reuse::Barcode and GD::Barcode::UPCE are part of my
standard PERL module install prior to attempting an install. I have seen
these errors pop up and I just add the missing modules to my list of
default installs. Koha is happy and I have not had any problems that I
could attribute to these modules.

Memoize::Memcached will fight you tooth and nail unless you have the
memcached application installed via apt. From what I understand, 3.2
will take advantage of this, but my experience is that 3.1 is still a
bit buggy with memcached.

I have not run into the last three modules on your list or the API2
module, but I generally just accept the prerequisites when installing
PERL modules. PERL is happy, Koha is happy, and I am happy.

John

[...]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.

On 2009/12/7, at 1:47 AM, Owen Leonard wrote:

>> which installation instructions ?
>
> Sorry--  The Debian Lenny INSTALL file.
>
>   -- Owen

bah, i saw 'OSX' and thought you were looking at an OSX-install.txt
doc (which doesn't yet exist :O) )

Re: Which is the best Linux flavour to work with Koha ?

MJ Ray-2
G.K.MANJUNATH asked:
> We installed Koha on Fedora, Ubuntu and Debain and did not face any
> problem. I understand that, Debian is what most people use.
>
> I need some suggestions. Which is the best Linux flavour to work on,
> especially with Koha and why ?  Can any one please clarify ?

In our co-op, that's not specifically a Koha question, although Koha
does work well on Debian.  We have many years of experience in both
using and developing the debian operating system and various services
and applications on top of it.  We've also got years developing on
other systems, but out of all the things we've tried, debian is what
has made our life easier and made our users happiest, on average.

We're not fixed on it and we'll work with various other systems, but
it's my preference.

Probably it's more generally used because with the various parts which
all need to work together to support Koha (kernel, apache httpd,
mysqld, zebra and so on) have all fitted together pretty well on
debian for a while and upgraded fairly smoothly each time.  The number
of unpackaged parts needed is getting fewer and fewer.

debian is also the product of "a massive cooperative effort"
(then debian project leader Branden Robinson, speaking to Tux Journal)
so it fits very well with our values and principles.

> Most important, we would like to use the same OS for other open source
> software such as Dspace and Greestone.

Probably should ask them what they run well on, but I'd be surprised
if they find debian difficult.

Good luck!
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software
www.software.coop http://mjr.towers.org.uk        |  .... co

Re: A couple of Debian install questions

Scott-260
first i would use aptitude and look for the packages under not installed > perl
and look for the libs, + to add hit g and then g again to install ;)

if you can not find the package in the repository use cpan.
if not in root, sudo cpan
install GD::Barcode::UPCE
not sure if you have used cpan before, package names have to be exact. It then
compiles the package for you and gets any dependency it needs. But i recommend
using aptitute first or some debian package manager to see if it is in the
debian repository, good luck.

Re: A couple of Debian install questions

Reed Wade
A little late but these slightly out of date instructions might help
(with package list)--

http://blog.triumphovermadness.com/2009/05/koha-3-on-debianlenny.html

-reed