3m self-checkout machines and Koha

mason@kohaaloha
Administrator
hi Folks

are any libraries out there on KohaLand using 3M selfcheckout machines

if so... do they behave OK, and what specific models work well

cheers, Mason
--
KohaAloha, NZ

moo

Re: 3m self-checkout machines and Koha

Lori Bowen Ayre
Hi James,

I don't think it matters which 3M model of self check you use because they all rely on SIP. The 3M and Koha implementations of SIP are all worked out and there are several libraries using their self-checks.  Not e-commerce, just the self-check.

FYI, Tech-Logic and ITG also have Koha libraries using their self-check machines, also via SIP.

Lori

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM, James, Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Folks

are any libraries out there on KohaLand using 3M selfcheckout machines

if so... do they behave OK, and what specific models work well

cheers, Mason
--
KohaAloha, NZ

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
(707) 763-6869 // [hidden email]

[hidden email]Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID, filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling

On 2011-03-9, at 2:16 PM, Lori Bowen Ayre wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I don't think it matters which 3M model of self check you use because they all rely on SIP. The 3M and Koha implementations of SIP are all worked out and there are several libraries using their self-checks.  Not e-commerce, just the self-check.
>
> FYI, Tech-Logic and ITG also have Koha libraries using their self-check machines, also via SIP.
>
> Lori

great, thanks for the info

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM, James, Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi Folks
>
> are any libraries out there on KohaLand using 3M selfcheckout machines
>
> if so... do they behave OK, and what specific models work well
>

> cheers, Mason
> --
> KohaAloha, NZ

cheers, Mason
--
KohaAloha, NZ

moo

Re: 3m self-checkout machines and Koha

Liz Rea
2011/3/8 Lori Bowen Ayre <[hidden email]>:

> Hi James,
> I don't think it matters which 3M model of self check you use because they
> all rely on SIP. The 3M and Koha implementations of SIP are all worked out
> and there are several libraries using their self-checks.  Not e-commerce,
> just the self-check.
> FYI, Tech-Logic and ITG also have Koha libraries using their self-check
> machines, also via SIP.
> Lori
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM, James, Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi Folks
>>
>> are any libraries out there on KohaLand using 3M selfcheckout machines
>>
>> if so... do they behave OK, and what specific models work well
>>

>> cheers, Mason
>> --
>> KohaAloha, NZ

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
> The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
> (707) 763-6869 // [hidden email]
> Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID, filtering,
> workflow optimization, and materials handling

NEKLS is using 3M self check machines. We have really only one minor
problem, mostly they work well.

Problems we see (and this may be totally a matter of library preference):
items with holds aren't allowed to check out if the patron has the
book in their hand (i.e. they got a book off of the shelf that some
off-site patron had placed a hold on before a librarian got to it to
pick it). That's really all I've got for right now. It used to be that
things like Pokémon and books about Resumé's wouldn't check out, but I
believe this has been fixed (much to our squeeing excitement).

We also have 3M checkin chutes, with similarly trivial problems
surrounding holds.

SIP has come a long way in the 3 years we've been on Koha.

Now, to make it work very well with Envisionware.... ;)

Liz Rea
NEKLS

Re: 3m self-checkout machines and Koha

Henri-Damien LAURENT
Le 09/03/2011 03:53, Liz Rea a écrit :

> 2011/3/8 Lori Bowen Ayre <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi James,
>> I don't think it matters which 3M model of self check you use because they
>> all rely on SIP. The 3M and Koha implementations of SIP are all worked out
>> and there are several libraries using their self-checks.  Not e-commerce,
>> just the self-check.
>> FYI, Tech-Logic and ITG also have Koha libraries using their self-check
>> machines, also via SIP.
>> Lori
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM, James, Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi Folks
>>>
>>> are any libraries out there on KohaLand using 3M selfcheckout machines
>>>
>>> if so... do they behave OK, and what specific models work well
>>>

>>> cheers, Mason
>>> --
>>> KohaAloha, NZ
>
> NEKLS is using 3M self check machines. We have really only one minor
> problem, mostly they work well.
>
> Problems we see (and this may be totally a matter of library preference):
> items with holds aren't allowed to check out if the patron has the
> book in their hand (i.e. they got a book off of the shelf that some
> off-site patron had placed a hold on before a librarian got to it to
> pick it). That's really all I've got for right now. It used to be that
> things like Pokémon and books about Resumé's wouldn't check out, but I
> believe this has been fixed (much to our squeeing excitement).
>
> We also have 3M checkin chutes, with similarly trivial problems
> surrounding holds.
>
> SIP has come a long way in the 3 years we've been on Koha.
>
> Now, to make it work very well with Envisionware.... ;)
>
> Liz Rea
> NEKLS
Hi,
BibLibre (and Tamil i think) would have the same reports here.
From BibLibre experience,
main problems are :
- utf8 support which in the standard is not supported. You have do
disable the error checks. checksum could be badly processed in that case
i think.
- translations have to be hardcoded for server strings and date
strings... Which is quite annoying
- Bad dates on renewals when renewal is done (the duedate sticks)
and that's it.

What could be done would be to rework the C4::SIP in order to be more
compliant to the License (it was first written with evergreen iirc) and
to share more with openncip (openncip.org), where the software originated.

all in all, it works pretty good, with 3M, Nedap or IntellIdent self
checkout appliances.

Hope that helps.
--
Henri-Damien LAURENT
BibLibre

Re: 3m self-checkout machines and Koha

Dan Scott-6
> BibLibre (and Tamil i think) would have the same reports here.
> From BibLibre experience,
> main problems are :
> - utf8 support which in the standard is not supported. You have do
> disable the error checks. checksum could be badly processed in that case
> i think.

For what it's worth, I contributed a patch to the original OpenNCIP
code which fixed UTF8 checksums with our (at the start of 2010 quite
new) 3M self-check machine. The bug report was at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2925760&group_id=161781&atid=821216
and David Fiander merged the most pertinent bits here:
(http://openncip.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openncip/src/Sip/Checksum.pm?r1=1.4&r2=1.6)

A quick peek at Koha's C4::SIP::Sip::Checksum shows that it's still
using the %16U instead of the %16C to unpack the packet. Could be an
easy fix?

> - translations have to be hardcoded for server strings and date
> strings... Which is quite annoying
> - Bad dates on renewals when renewal is done (the duedate sticks)
> and that's it.

I did some work on the Evergreen SIP driver on renewals; the code I
wrote probably isn't useful in a Koha context; but it suggests that it
can be made to work.

> What could be done would be to rework the C4::SIP in order to be more
> compliant to the License (it was first written with evergreen iirc) and
> to share more with openncip (openncip.org), where the software originated.

I think that would be great, in spirit if not in domain name
(openncip.org doesn't look like it has been updated since 2006, and I
think only LibLime has access to that domain). As for the home of the
most current code, the CVS repository at SourceForge for openncip
still exists, but hasn't been touched for approximately a year. Around
May 2010, Joe Atzberger quietly set up a git repository at
https://github.com/atz/SIPServer and changed the Evergreen SIP
instructions to point to his repository for the base SIPServer code
rather than SourceForge; unfortunately his git repository starts with
a checkout of the latest CVS code rather than preserving the entire
history of the development of the code.

Perhaps we could ask David Fiander to convert the SourceForge CVS
repository to git within SourceForge to begin with using "git
cvsimport" or the like (so that the "official project development
home" remains along with the complete repo history, even though it's
yucky old SourceForge); then we could begin merging Joe's branch and
encourage other contributions. Would that be a reasonable method of
revitalizing the OpenNCIP project?

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University