13 digits isbn

Paul POULAIN-2
Hello,

in 2007, january, the ISBN will be on 13 digits.
afaik, it will use the standard vendor code, that for instance is : 978+
(isbn-controldigit) +controldigit re-calculated.

What will we have to do in Koha ?
* modify the DB to handle this longer ISBN
* re-calculate all previously entered ISBN ?
* rewrite show-isbn-with-dash sub ?
* that's all ?

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants

Re: 13 digits isbn

Anthony Mao
2006/3/20, Paul POULAIN <[hidden email]>:
> Hello,
>
> in 2007, january, the ISBN will be on 13 digits.
> afaik, it will use the standard vendor code, that for instance is : 978+
> (isbn-controldigit) +controldigit re-calculated.

Yes, it is.
You can find all information from
ISBN Users' Manual (ISBN-13).
http://www.isbn-international.org/en/manual.html

> What will we have to do in Koha ?
> * modify the DB to handle this longer ISBN

It is the must.
check 10 and 13 digits automatically.

> * re-calculate all previously entered ISBN ?

Need not change any issued 10 digits ISBN.
Unused 10 digits ISBN still valid even after 2007, january.

> * rewrite show-isbn-with-dash sub ?

Koha need minor change to handle this.

> * that's all ?

Almost.

--
Best regards

毛慶禎, Anthony Mao, mao at lins dot fju dot edu dot tw
ICQ 30941847
Department of Library and Information Science
http://www.lins.fju.edu.tw/mao/index.htm
TEL +886 2 29052334, FAX +886 2 29017405
Fu-jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Re: 13 digits isbn

Paul POULAIN-2
毛慶禎 a écrit :
>>* re-calculate all previously entered ISBN ?
>

> Need not change any issued 10 digits ISBN.
> Unused 10 digits ISBN still valid even after 2007, january.

a 10 digit ISBN will become 978+10digit isbn + key recalculated.
So I think it would be easier on the long term to store everything in 13
digits.

--
Paul POULAIN